IS FISH GOOD FOR YOU?

THE GOOD!

THE REALITY!

THE BAD!

Is Fish Good For You?

SO, IS FISH GOOD FOR YOU?

The Truth About Fish

There are 32,000 species of fish out there, and many believe that they are amongst some of the healthiest foods on the planet! 

But is there truth to that statement? Well, as always,let’s explore the facts first, and then take it from there.

fish

The Benefits of Eating Fish

1. RICH IN OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS

The benefits of omega-3 fatty acids are immensely widespread and include improved heart health,
reduced inflammation (inflammation is the predominant cause of a wide range of diseases including asthma, heart disease, cancer, gut disorders, arthritis to name but a few), anti-depressant qualities, improved brain function, and lower incidence of memory loss.

2. RICH IN PROTEIN

Fish contain all of the essential amino acids, and is an excellent protein source.

3. FISH BOOSTS METABOLISM

Fish is rich in iodine. Iodine is essential for thyroid function, and the thyroid gland is the main organ that regulates metabolic rate (i.e., how much fat you burn during the day).

4. IMPROVES TESTOSTERONE PRODUCTION

Fish (including fish oils) are the best dietary sources of Vitamin D. Most people in UK
(and USA) don’t get enough Vitamin D. Vitamin D is a precursor to testosterone.

5. REDUCES ASTHMA IN CHILDREN

Children who eat fish are less likely to develop asthma.

6. REDUCES RISK OF DEMENTIA

Seniors eating fish at least once a week have a lower chance of dementia.

The Downsides of Eating Fish

Contamination and Mercury

Industrial Waste and Pesticides

Mercury can be found in thermometers, silver dental fillings, thermostats, and fluorescent lights (as well as other products). The mercury is relatively safe in these circumstances but is released when it ends up in a landfill. 

Mercury becomes ‘Methylmercury’ when it reacts with bacteria in the presence of water. 

Unfortunately, fish absorb methylmercury and when it does, it binds to protein within the fish muscle, and remains there even after it’s cooked. 

Methylmercury, in high amounts, can adversely
affect the brain and nervous system.

Heavy metals (mainly lead and mercury) have entered a lot of our water supplies (including oceans, rivers, lakes, etc.) 

Mercury consumption can affect our central nervous system making us feel more run down, weaker and fatigued. 

Moreover, it takes 18 months to rid the body of mercury.

Children should not consume too much fish (especially mercury-rich fish). This is because their brain and nervous systems are still developing.

Fish can also absorb organic chemicals (including PCBs, dioxins, and DDT) from water. These chemicals come from factories. 

Because they’re dense in nature, thee fish that do become contaminated tend to bottom-dwelling fish (such as shark, or swordfish).

 Like mercury, they can adversely affect our nervous system. 

Unlike mercury, however, which can take 18 months to leave the body, these chemicals can take up to 8 years to leave the body!!

This topic is covered in more detail in ‘The Essential Guide to Sports Nutrition and Bodybuilding.’

To find out more, CLICK HERE.

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!


Add a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *